Friday, August 21, 2009

DoF Friday Funk with: Maria Isa


The Twin Cities songstress and emcee selects 3 tracks for your aural pleasure and discusses music's inspirational force, the destructive powers of Soulja Boy and her new album, Street Politics.


DoF: Several years ago, you were on the cover of City Pages (a Twin Cities weekly) with a headline that read "Reggaeton Animal", but reggaeton is such a small part of your formula. Your style seems to follow the same sort of free-spirited format preferred by artists such as Tego Calderon or Calle 13. While both are considered "reggaeton" (by retailers, at least), their music is not imprisoned within the boundaries laid down by the "DemBow". Their albums tend to be a diverse exploration of hip-hop, salsa, soul, funk, r&b, reggae and beyond. Do you see them as an oddity in the reggaeton game, or do you get the sense that reggaeton as a genre is following their lead, stretching and diversifying its sound as the years go by?

MI: I consider Tego Calderon and Calle 13 phenomenal emcees that help place the genre of Reggaeton on the map and am an advocate to help others understand that they should not be placed in a box. Reggaeton is rooted by the Afro-Latino culture, just as the genres of Bomba, Rumba, Plena, Merengue, Samba, Bachata, and Batucada were. I don't believe it's odd to consider them as top players of the game, it's a movement representing a big part of "who we are" as Latinos and they are ambassadors of a genre which was once called "underground" due to not being accepted. I consider them to be the genre's best emcees that aren't afraid to crossover and express their diverse influences.

DoF: What do you hope to accomplish with your music; personally and for your audience? Does the goal change from song to song?

MI: I want my audience to have fun, feel free to express themselves to my vibe, along with being able to recognize the issues and rights we have as a movement of the world's citizens. I hope to assist or inspire one to learn something new about their roots and to not take it for granted. Walk, live, dream and stand up for what you want to see balanced.

DoF: How about your new album Street Politics? Is there a prevailing theme/message/feeling you'd like listeners to take away from it after listening?

MI: I would like listeners to think back on their lives growing up in their community, being brought up by their family and culture, along with capturing the images and stories that I express. No matter where one comes from anything can be accomplished. With Street Politics, I broke the writing process down as a collection of emotions I have experienced or captured from my surroundings. I consider it to be broken down in 10 chapters expressing love, knowledge, pride, sorrow, tragedy, confusion, enjoyment, passion, shock, and indulging inspiration. As Ruben Blades sang in Pedro Navaja "La vida te da sorpresas, sorpresas te da la vida..aye dios"

DoF: Do you think not having your homebase in NYC or LA has slowed your career growth to some extent, or has starting out in a "smaller pond" like the Twin Cities kind of allowed you the freedom to find yourself as a performer at your own pace?

MI: I love being from the Twin Cities, wouldn't change it for the world...It's who I am and has helped me develop my style. I would say being from the Twin Cities is a benefit for the times when I have performed in NYC and LA. I am a firm believer of things happening when the right time is presented. I would most definitely NOT say things have been slow here in the Twin Cities...it has been my class room which has prepared me to express my work and message. It many ways I feel it is a privilege.

DoF: What's the single most excruciatingly painful thing going on in music right now?

MI: Soulja Boy as a "hip-hop" artist..may Wu-Tang bees come to sting him!! jk....not hating just expressing my opinion. I feel the children are being poisoned by commercial radio not waking the hell up! I guess the Money gets one the Power!

DoF: Do you think music has a role to play in encouraging social change/movements?

MI: Yes I do think this....I breath this! It's what motivates me the most!! Didn't you watch Obama's inauguration parties!!! Those musicians and artists help spread the word.

DoF: If you weren't making music, what would you be doing with your life?

MI: I'd probably still be a FULL TIME working on a Political Science Degree. A good friend always keeps me smiling saying I can do that when I feel ready to finish.

DoF: What's your most recent iTunes purchase?

MI: OFF THE WALL-Michael Jackson: CLASSIC AND INSPIRATIONAL..TOTALLY DESERVED MORE GRAMMYS.....

LOSO'S WAY-Fabolous: I actually can dig the Dominicano's vibe on this...so is everyone else, he made #1 this week on BB. But I'm vibing the lyrics on Raekwon's new joint [House of Flying] Dagger[s] feat. Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah, and Method Man, too.

FIN

And now make way for the Funk, straight from Ms. Isa's iPod to your groove-hungry ears. (Note: While DoF has a fairly strict "No Fabolous" rule, this joint is kinda hot. Seriously. Give it a chance. I won't/can't vouch for the rest of the album, though.

Michael Jackson - Get on the Floor


Fabolous - Pachanga


Raekwon - House of Flying Daggers

A very special thanks to Maria and SotaRico Productions for taking the time to chat!

1 comment:

turnitupchris said...

Thanks Blaine for again hitting the population upside the head and reminding us of some fantastic JAMS, New and Old. You are a gentleman and vicourious sir. Good day and God save the the Queen. (Of course i mean Freddy Mercury)