Thursday, February 04, 2010

From the Diary of (Kinda) Mad (Half) Black Man

As the second most influential biracial male in these United States I regret that I have allowed you all to go so long without telling you how you should feel about all things current and multiracial. So, without further ado… Actually there will be some “ado”. I think “ado” gets a bad rap. Every time it’s mentioned it’s always “without further ado” or “much ado about nothing”; he’s never quite given a fair shake. SO here you go “ado” – take a bow, this moment is yours.

The AABA – Otherwise known as the “All-American Basketball Alliance”, this is the fledgling basketball league currently being touted by one Don “Moose” Lewis. Given no more information than the name of the league (hint – “alliance”) and moniker it’s promoter, I’m sure you will not be hard-pressed to imagine why I feel the league should be more aptly named the Aggregate Aryan Basketball Alliance. This league’s goal is to put the fundamentals back in professional basketball and how else would they accomplish that than by the tried and true method of segregation. You read that right. Blacks and foreigners need not apply. There’s even talk of having a “SnowBall vs. Bro-Ball” game at the end of the season featuring players representing the respective sides of a black and white cookie. It’s a shame Adolph Rupp isn’t around to serve as honorary coach.

Seriously, give me a break dude. This is the most ridiculous sports concept I’ve seen in my short life and I’ve lived through SlamBall AND the XFL, not to mention the WNBA. The truth is that fundamental basketball is simply not the most entertaining sport in the world and without the athletic innovations that have taken it to its’ current success, professional basketball would not exist. And soon, neither will the AABA.

Chris Matthews – MSNBC pundit Chris Matthews recently made a rather remarkable comment following President Barack Obama’s State of the Union Address. Evidently caught up in a bout of Obama fever, Matthews confided that he was so moved by the speech he “forgot Obama was black for an hour.” Look, I’m not even (kinda) mad at the sentiment he expressed. But when he forgot he was black did he then remember he was white? Or did Obama cease to have color? If the feelings only lasted an hour are we sure he wasn’t just on shrooms? I hear those tend to bend perception of color and reality. And why is it that whenever a person of color can express themselves slightly more eloquently than Rosie Perez it suddenly becomes possible for them to be seen outside of the context of their ethnicity? I get what you were trying to say Mr. Matthews, but I don't get why you thought that was the best way to say it.

Well that’s it for now my little mestizos and mulattos. Enjoy Black History Month!

4 comments:

blaine_fridley said...

personally, i fucking hate ado. but whatevs. and what are you talking about with rosie perez? she talk good and everything…

Moses Rodcancer said...

But there's one lingering issue that still hasn't been addressed…

Can I, or can I not use the N word while I'm driving?

Merton Sussex said...

"Can I, or can I not use the N word while I'm driving?"

That depends. Are there any black people in the car with you? If a white dude drops an N-bomb in a moving car with no brothers around to hear it, did it really happen?

Personally, I'd love to see some Cracker-ball. High comedy, that. A bunch of gangly, Larry Bird-looking motherfuckers lumbering up and down the boards, chest-passing to each other? Stellar entertainment.

"Tune in to the CBA action tonight! Jake Leary's Orlando Ofays and Marty Melman and his Baltimore Blancs will take turns politely refusing to go to the hole, each team valiantly getting an 'A' for effort as they try not to lose the all-ivory Wonder™ Cup in Atlanta's Aryan Arena! Dribble, pass, and pass again! Nothin' but assists!"

Wake me up at the buzzer.

John Marshall said...

For a not so comprehensive lesson on how to use the n word skip to about the 2 minute mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N6Phmale_Q